I NEVER buy buttermilk but like the effect while baking, so my quick and healthy solution is to simply use powered buttermilk. You can find it right next to the regular powdered milk. Your life will never be the same! If using powdered buttermilk, mix the power in with the other dry ingredients and add the required water at the buttermilk step. Enjoy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/3 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and baking soda. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; add cheese. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Drop by two tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; stir in parsley and remaining garlic powder. Brush over biscuits. Serve warm. Yield: 15 biscuits.