I hate catsup and therefore don't like recipes that use it. I think it is too sweet. The problem is that my husband really likes meatloaf which is drenched in the stuff. The compromise is this Italian version of one of his favorites. Serve with salad and a crusty bread.
1 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground extra-lean turkey or beef
2 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs*
1 egg white
2 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning, divided
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups prepared spaghetti sauce
1. Heat oven to 350º. Lightly spray 9x5" loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat until hot. Cook onion, carrot and celery 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds.
3. Gently combine onion mixture, turkey or beef, pork, bread crumbs, egg white, 2 tsp Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mound meat loaf mixture in loaf pan, smoothing top. Spoon spaghetti sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning.
4. Bake 45 - 50 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165º. Serve meat loaf with sauce.
* To make fresh bread crumbs, tear day-old whole grain bread into pieces; place in food processor or blender. Mix until coarse crumbs for. 1 slice yields ~3/4 cup crumbs.