- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) finely chopped ham
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cans beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Place bean mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return soup to pan. Add remaining 1/2 can of beans to pan; cook 2 minutes. Stir in juice; set aside.
2. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ham to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Mix ham into soup. Garnish soup with sour cream and shredded cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.