Monday, June 7, 2010

Avocado Aioli (Dressing, Sauce)

The traditional aioli recipe is similar to mayo, so somewhat high in fat. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a TV segment (sorry, I can't remember which show) making a few recipes from The Biggest Loser ranch. This Avocado Aioli was used on shrimp tacos, if I remember correctly, but it was designed to be a salad dressing. I have used it as a salad dressing, on chicken, on fish, and as a spread on sandwiches. It is great with any of those things!

1 avocado
1/3 c. plain Greek style yogurt
1 T. basil
2 t. garlic
1 t. lemon juice
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper (I used fresh ground pepper)

The original recipe just says to combine everything in a food processor until smooth. I've made it a couple of times now, and have experimented with the order that I added the ingredients. I found that it mixed a little bit better when I did the avocado and lemon juice first, then added the basil, garlic, salt and pepper, and then added the yogurt last.

The recipe directions also suggest that you put the dressing in a condiment bottle and keep it in the fridge so it's quick to grab and squirt on salads, etc. Since we're at the beginning of BBQ and picnic season, I was able to find a condiment bottle pretty cheap. It's working very well to have it that available.

No comments: