These rolls are basically a savory version of cinnamon rolls. The hardest part of making these is remembering to start them the night before. I like very fluffy rolls so let them raise for 2 hours, but the choice is yours. If you are lazy and don't want the thyme to be as potent, skip cooking it. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 11 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat white flour
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- 2. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add thyme to pan; cook 1 minute or until bubbly and fragrant. Add thyme mixture and milk to yeast mixture, stirring with a whisk; add 1/2 cup cheese, sugar, salt, and egg, stirring well.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon whole-wheat white flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Using a wooden spoon, stir whole-wheat white flour into yeast mixture. Lightly spoon 2 cups all-purpose flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add all-purpose flour to yeast mixture, stirring well. Add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to form a smooth but very sticky dough. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Dough will not double in size.)
- 4. Remove dough from refrigerator. Do not punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; sprinkle dough lightly with flour. Roll dough into a 24 x 7–inch rectangle. Brush dough with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over dough; sprinkle with pepper. Beginning with a long side, roll up dough jelly-roll fashion. Pinch seam to seal (do not seal ends of roll). Cut roll into 16 (1 1/2-inch) slices. Place slices, cut sides up, on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until rolls have risen slightly.
- 5. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 6. Place pan in oven, and immediately reduce heat to 375°. Bake rolls at 375° for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 16 rolls