Sunday, October 23, 2011

Simple, Light Fish Cakes

I have been trying to find a recipe to make fish palatable to my picky 3 year old. I came up with the idea that maybe using fish in a crabcake-like patty would do the trick. This recipe was so simple and delicious and was ready in minutes. The end result was a very delicious fish patty that my kids wolfed down and my husband liked as well. I like tilapia in this recipe since it is very mild to begin with. Grinding the fish also helps negate the fishy texture that can be difficult for some.

Ingredients:

1 pound tilapia or other mild white fish
8 saltine crackers, crushed
1 egg
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon greek yogurt or mayo
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
1 tablespoons olive oil
Directions:
Put thawed fish into a food processor and grind until it reaches the desired consistency. Combine all ingredients in a bowl except oil and stir until thoroughly combined. Heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. While it’s heating, form the fish mixture into small patties – you will get about 5 to 6 cakes. Place them in the skillet and cook until lightly golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.

No comments: