I love stir fry because it is so quick and healthy. This recipe is one of my favorites. The key to a good beef and broccoli is to slice the beef as thin as you can.
1 lb lean steak, trimmed
2 garlic cloves, crushed
dash of chili oil (I don't keep this on hand so I substitute 1/4 tsp red chili paste)
1/2 inch piece fresh rood ginger, grated
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
3 Tbsp soy sauce, divided
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 broccoli stalks, florets only
2/3 cup beef broth
2 tsp cornstarch
4 tsp water
1. Cut the steak into thin strips and place in a shallow glass dish. Mix together the garlic, chili oil, ginger, Chinese five spice powder and 2 Tbsp soy sauce in a small bowl and pour over beef, tossing to coat the strips. Leave to marinate in the refrigerator.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a wok. Add broccoli and stir-fry over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the wok with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Heat the remaining oil in the wok. Add the steak together with the marinade, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until the steak is browned and sealed.
4. Return the broccoli to the wok and stir in the remaining soy sauce and stock.
5. Blend the cornstarch with the water to form a smooth paste and stir it into the wok. Bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened and clear. Cook for 1 minute. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.