3 cups (12 ounces) uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 (12-ounce) carton 2% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; place in a large bowl.
- 3. Place cottage cheese in a food processor; process until smooth. Add cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Add the cheese mixture to pasta, and stir well. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, panko, and parsley in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
- 5. Preheat broiler (do not remove dish from the oven).
- 6. Broil pasta 1 minute or until top browns.