This recipe is great for kids. My kids and I like this for a easy and light lunch, my husband needs something extra like a chicken breast.
- 8 ounces uncooked mini penne pasta
- 5 cups broccoli florets (about 1 medium head)
- 1 1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2.5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2/3 cup)
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add broccoli to pan; drain. Place pasta and broccoli in a large bowl.
- 2. Combine milk and flour in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat. Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add cheese mixture to pasta mixture; toss. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.