Thursday, January 15, 2009

Falafel and Tzatziki

This is a recipe that Ryan gave me and we had for dinner tonight. Pretty quick and very delicious. Sauce can be made in advance!

FALAFEL:
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 dash pepper
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (I only used a tsp)
  • 1 cup dry bread crumbs
  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. In a large bowl mash chickpeas until thick and pasty; don't use a blender, as the consistency will be too thin. In a blender, process onion, parsley and garlic until smooth. Stir into mashed chickpeas.
  3. In a small bowl combine egg, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon juice and baking powder. Stir into chickpea mixture along with olive oil. Slowly add bread crumbs until mixture is not sticky but will hold together; add more or less bread crumbs, as needed. Form 8 balls and then flatten into patties.
  4. Spray oil a baking sheet. Place patties on sheet and bake on the bottom rack about 25 minutes flipping once.
  5. Serve in pitas with tzatziki sauce or hummus.

TZATZIKI SAUCE
  • 1 (6 ounce) container plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
Combine all ingredients and chill for 30 minutes. We added a little extra dill and some lemon juice!

3 comments:

rachaeljanae said...

I made this last night for my family and they were a little skeptical at first, but it ended up being a hit! My kids even liked it. Of course, I had to make it complicated by making my own pitas and using dry beans, but it still wasn't too hard. (I used 2 C of cooked beans instead of the 15 oz can.) The only thing I would change is to make the falafel balls smaller. I ended up breaking the patties into quarters to put into the pitas.

Reminded me of my days in Israel, except I think they probably deep fried the falafels there. Thanks for the recipe!

rachaeljanae said...

Oh, and maybe it would work better to send the bean mixture through a food processor. I don't have one, but it seemed perfect for that.

Ramona Stice said...

Just a thought. You can put soft things like cooked beans through your vegetable shredder attacment for your bosch. Also if you are going to use dry beans I love pressure cooking them. I throw them on the stove in the morning while I am cooking breakfast. Let them cool and you can have enough for the falafel and hummus.