Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sauteed Cherry Tomato Couscous

I LOVE couscous, and I'm always on the lookout for more recipes. I found this one a couple of weeks ago, and finally got to try it tonight. It was a big hit! Frances knows that I enjoy anything with tomatoes and basil (a la Caprese salad). This has a similar taste.

Ingredients:
3 c. low sodium vegetable stock (or chicken broth)
1 1/2 c. couscous
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 c. cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 c. fresh spinach leaves, torn (I actually used about twice this amount, and it was great)
1/4 c. chopped walnuts, toasted (optional - I didn't put these in today, but may another time)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green onion, chopped (I actually used 2)
1 T. chopped fresh basil (it should come as no surprise that I also used about twice this amount)
Course salt (I used Sea Salt) to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Place stock in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and remove immediately from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add couscous, stir, and cover. Let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. When hot, add tomatoes, spinach leaves, walnuts, garlic and green onion. Saute for 3 minutes or until tomatoes start to soften. Add basil and toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Fluff couscous with a fork and transfer to serving bowl. Add tomato mixture and gently combine. Serve at room temperature.
The best part:
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8

Just an exciting side note: the picture was taken on one of my NEW plates on my NEW granite countertops.

2 comments:

Evelyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

Wow, I love food with pictures and that looks amazing. I love Couscous.