Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

I got this recipe from allrecipes, but I've tinkered with it so much over the years, it probably doesn't even resemble the original anymore. It makes 4 loaves. I quadruple this recipe and make sixteen loaves about once a month (although I think it was three weeks last time--my boys are growing up). I organized the ingredient list according to steps.

1/2 C cracked wheat (send dry through blender until cracked)
1 C water

1 1/2 T yeast
1 t sugar
1/2 C warm water

4 C warm water
1/2 C canola oil
1/2 C honey
1/4 C cooked cracked wheat

1 C powdered milk
1 C oats (quick or regular)
1/3 C vital wheat gluten (opt)
4 t salt
2 C wheat flour

3 C wheat flour
6-8 C bread flour
2T dough enhancer (opt)

In a small saucepan, bring 1 C water to a boil. Add dry cracked wheat, cover, reduce heat and simmer on low for 20 min. (This will make 1 C cooked cracked wheat, and I only add 1/4 C to the bread. You can add more if you want.) Combine yeast, sugar and 1/2 C water in a small bowl and let sit a few minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast mixture, wet ingredients and first set of dry. Let rest 10 minutes. Add the rest of the flour, wheat first, and knead until dough comes off your hands, but still sticky (or until the dough pulls off the inside ring of your Bosch/Kitchenaide). Add dough enhancer and knead a minute more. Cover and let rise 40 minutes.

Grease bread pans with shortening or lard, shape into 4 loaves and let rise 30 minutes. Place a small bowl of water in an oven safe bowl on the bottom rack of your oven. Bake at 375F for 25 to 35 minutes. (Here in Omaha it was 32 minutes in my old oven, I think in Utah it was 28--I now convect bake at 41 min.)

See below for the calzones I make from this same recipe.

No comments: