Saturday, April 10, 2010

Baked Ziti and Bean Casserole

I have decided that I need to cook more meatless dishes. I was a vegetarian for several years and rarely ate meat before getting married. My husband doesn't think a meal is suitable unless there is meat in it, so I have learned to eat meat, probably too much. My challenge is to find meatless recipes that are hearty. This is a winner. My new goal is to cook at least one meatless dinner each week, so look forward to more meatless! The recipe calls for Great Northern Beans, which are white kidney beans. I didn't have them in my pantry, so I substituted Pinto beans instead. You can probably use any bean with excellent results.

Ingredients:
   1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
   1 cup ricotta cheese
   1/4 cup red onion, chopped
   1 tsp dried parsley
   1 tsp dried thyme leaves
   1/2 tsp salt
   1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
   4 cups hot cooked ziti (8 oz dry pasta)
   1 can (15 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
   sliced mozzarella cheese
   Grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
   Heat oven to 400. Spray 13x9" baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, ricotta, onion, parsley, thyme, salt and red pepper. Carefully fold in pasta and beans.
   Pour pasta mixture into baking dish, spreading evenly. Arrange mozzarella cheese slices on top to cover. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until mixture is hot and cheese is golden brown. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. 6 Servings.

No comments: